Much thanks to Sarah Vernon at First Night Design for giving Synkroniciti the Very Inspiring Blogger Award and the One Lovely Blog Award! Sarah is a lovely and inspiring person herself, an actress who, faced with Limited Cutaneous Systemic Sclerosis, turned her theatrical eye and design talents into making art. First Night Design features everything from greeting cards and posters to aprons, t-shirts and place mats with Sarah’s beautiful original designs. This is not to mention her blog, full of insight about theatre, art, design, literature, history, and even food. Please take the time to look by clicking here.
You might have seen Sarah in the Masterpiece Theatre production of Paradise Postponed. We seldom missed Masterpiece Theatre in our house. The series also featured her father, Richard Vernon. Perhaps you remember him in the Beatles’ Hard Day’s Night, in Goldfinger, or as Slartibartfast in the BBC production of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. Sarah’s mother was the actress Benedicta Leigh, whom I admire very much for her gutsy memoir, The Catch of Hands, about her struggles with mental illness at a time when medicine and society were in the dark about such things. In fact, I first met Sarah online after writing a post about Adam Ant and his struggles with bipolar disorder. She suggested The Catch of Hands to me and our online friendship was born. That is my favorite thing about blogging… finding connections to other people.
As part of the award, I am to share seven things about myself. Here goes:
* I grew up on 67 acres of land near Austin, Texas. Our well ceased functioning and our house remained unfinished, including a complete lack of interior plumbing. Long term camping, anyone?
* My father died twice from heart attacks. First when I was four– he was revived– and finally when I was ten. I am very thankful for those six and a half years.
* Our house flooded in 2009 and we have done all of the restoration work ourselves (after so many wonderful friends helped with demolition). The only thing we hired out was the installation of a gas line for the kitchen. The creative and construction work we have done have improved our home and taught us that you can fix almost any thing.
* I sing in the chorus at Houston Grand Opera, where I get to be a part of wonderful theatrical and musical experiences of extremely high quality and get to meet and work with many interesting people. We have fun, as you can see below!
* I don’t care if you are a beggar on the street or the Queen of England, if I like you I like you. Don’t expect celebrity treatment, unless maybe you are Bono or Benedict Cumberbatch.
* I love ambiguity. The reason I enjoy writing and performing poetry is that I am not restricted to the same rhythmic inflection or interpretation in every performance. With video poetry, adding images and sounds to the spoken word changes the interpretation, sometimes drastically. I LOVE that.
Here are my fifteen picks for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award. There are so many impressive blogs out there, but these really pick me up and show me new things. Sorry if I missed yours this time. If you made the list, congratulations! I will put a comment up on your blog soon.
“Rules” for accepting these awards:
- Create a post showing the award and write a short blurb about the person who nominated you. You may also want to display the award on your blog.
- Reveal 7 things about yourself in your post.
- Present the award to up to 15 bloggers and include links to their blogs in your post.